[ldv-project] Questions on LDV Specifications and Variability

Evgeny Novikov novikov at ispras.ru
Thu Sep 12 18:45:56 MSK 2013

Hi Alexander

On 09/12/2013 11:51 AM, Alexander von Rhein wrote:
> Hi Evgeny,
>
> sorry, that I have not written for such a long time ;)
> I am still working on the driver-simulator generation, but it is much
> more difficult than we anticipated.

I understand it ;)
> We are working on another project in parallel, for which we have some
> questions for you.
> Perhaps you already have some experience on this.
>
> 1. Are the LDV-Specifications (32_1, 43_x, ...) appliccable only to a
> special group of drivers or can they be used with any driver?
They are very general and can be used for all drivers and even more (for
net protocols, file systems, etc.). But this doesn't mean that all
drivers use those elements of the Linux kernel API that are described
and checked in specifications.
32* specifications check that macros and functions for work with mutexes
are used properly. You can see how many "drivers" use them:
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?i=mutex_lock.

> 2. We have seen that some of the drivers have only very little #ifdef
> variability.
> Do you know of any drivers that have more variability (which also
> affects functionality)?

I often see that CONFIG_PM affects drivers:
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?i=CONFIG_PM. As for other #ifdefs,
you can try to see on code coverage. At the moment we have not a good
account with coverage due to some internal LDV transformations, but
corresponding tasks are on our road map. I hope that we will have a very
pretty account this month. Then we will send it to you.

--
Best regards, Evgeny Novikov.